Anyone, anywhere can be the one to make a difference in the life of someone with a mental health or substance use challenge - if they know what to do and what to say.
MHMRCV offers mental health first aid to provide people living in the Concho Valley with skills so that they may help someone who may be in crisis or showing signs of a mental illness. Participants are trained how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
What Will I Learn?
- Warning signs, symptoms and risk factors.
- Information on depression, anxiety, trauma, psychosis and substance use.
- A 5-step action plan to help someone in crisis or showing signs of mental illness.
- Professional and self-help resources.
Adult Mental Health First Aid is for anyone who wants to learn how to help someone experiencing a mental health crisis or showing early signs and symptoms.
Youth Mental Health First Aid is for anyone who works with youth ages 12-18. Instructors review the unique risk factors and warning signs for this age group. Instruction emphasizes the importance of early intervention and covers how adults can help youth experiencing a mental health issue or crisis.
Who Should Take Mental Health First Aid?
Anyone who wants to ready themselves to help others in crisis should take Mental Health First Aid.
- Teachers, school administrators, school security staff
- College and university faculty and staff
- Human resources professionals
- Health care providers, nurses, emergency room staff, EMS personnel and first responders
- Law enforcement and court staff
- Members of faith communities
- Social service staff and volunteers
- Parents, grandparents and foster parents
Continuing Education Units are available for educators, counselors, social workers, and law enforcement.
How Do I Register?
The 8-hour course is offered upon request within our catchment area. The course is offered free of charge by MHMRCV as part of our mental health awareness initiatives. Onsite trainings are also available for organizations/agencies that are interested. Please contact Catherine Hood at 325-658-7750 or send an email to email@example.com